Tedford Litigation, PLLC
Focusing on defense litigation involving fire, explosions, and product liability.
For 24 years, our focus has been to vigorously defend manufacturers whose products are exposed to litigation because of fire, explosions and product liability issues resulting in death, personal injury, and/or property damage.
Driven by a thorough understanding of the science of fire principles and defense strategies, we consistently achieve POSITIVE OUTCOMES FOR OUR CLIENTS.
Check back soon to see our new web site.
Expertise that is comprehensive and current
We continually study the latest developments in the science of fire investigation and defense of product liability claims.
This initiative includes regular attendance at certified fire investigation courses. We also attend the fire scene inspection expressing our opinions about fire origin and cause issues. By being proactive, opposing investigators are exposed to our fire science experience.
The understanding is that if they proceed against our clients, we will be a force to be reckoned with.
A singular client focus
We engage completely with our clients.
By understanding your goals and products thoroughly, we develop strategies that optimize your requirements with our litigation strategies. Tedford Litigation regularly volunteers time with clients for short fire science courses. This step often helps when suit papers are served or in deciding whether to attend fire scenes. At the scenes, we work hard to exculpate our clients’ products. We also explore opportunities to resolve claims prior to suit, if that approach is in the best interests of our clients.
In the court room, we use fire science principles and your product knowledge to accomplish our tactical goals.
Our reach is extensive
We have investigated and litigated fires throughout the United States, and defended our clients’ products in Canada and Mexico.
Whether we are anticipating theories of liability or challenging experts’ credentials or methodology, we are unrelenting.
We use our knowledge to reduce or eliminate our clients’ liability exposure.
Frederick B. Tedford’s profile
After obtaining his law degree, Attorney Tedford served for five years as a member of the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General Corps. Since that time, he has gained more than 40 years of experience as a tort and product liability trial attorney. He now devotes his practice to fire and explosion litigation, in which he has over 23 years’ experience; as well as defense of manufacturers in product liability litigation.
Attorney Tedford currently serves as national litigation counsel for fire litigation and product liability clients.
For many years, Attorney Tedford lectured to manufacturers and experts at the University of Wisconsin at Madison. He is a frequent lecturer on Fire Science Litigation.
Attorney Tedford has been involved in the investigation and/or litigation of high value cases throughout the country, including cases involving:
- Defense of a boiler manufacturer in a claim for wrongful death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Defense of water heater thermostat manufacturer in a case involving the scalding of a baby.
- Defense of a major sporting goods manufacturer in a case involving a head injury from a ball struck by a metal bat.
- Defense of a manufacturer in a diving board accident resulting in quadriplegia.
- Defense of a medical device manufacturer in fires resulting in death, personal injury and property damage.
- The death of 8 employees and burn injuries to 32 others resulting from a dust explosion in a candy manufacturing facility in Mexico.
- Property damage resulting from a grain elevator fire.
- Defense of a fire suppression company in a major shipyard fire.
- Defense of a fire suppression company in a recycling facility fire.
- Defense of a fuel cap manufacturer in cases where lawn mower fires caused severe burn injuries and death to the operators of the mowers.
- Defense of a product manufacturer where a fire in a manufactured home caused the death of an adult and two children.
- Defense of a foam insulation manufacturer where three welders were killed when foam insulation in the barge on which they were working caught fire.
- Defense of an alarm company where firefighters sued for wrongful death following the crash of their fire engine while responding to a false alarm.
- Defense of a major chemical manufacturer in lawsuits brought by burn victims.
- Defense of a foam manufacturer in a night club fire.
- Defense of a manufacturer in a suit for personal injuries suffered by a plaintiff who jumped to the ground from a third-story window to avoid being burned in fire.
- Property damage and personal injury stemming from an explosion of chemical products in a warehouse fire.
- Litigated to verdict the defense of insurers in civil arson cases.
- Defense of a multimillion-dollar product liability / fire claim against a tractor-trailer manufacturer for the destruction of a warehouse.
- Defense of a multimillion-dollar claim for fire damage to a nursing home.
- Insurance fraud cases involving commercial as well as personal lines coverage.
- Dozens of fire claims resulting from house fires.
- Defense of boiler manufacturers in home and commercial building fires.
- Defense of a motorcycle manufacturer in fires resulting in personal injury and property damage.
- Defense of manufacturers in gas explosions and fires in buildings resulting in property damage and death.
- Defense of a major asbestos manufacturer from claims involving lung cancer, asbestosis and mesothelioma.